How the Challenge Can Help
The funds we are raising through the Epic Trail Challenge support the Santa Rosa Community Health patients who need us the most right now: our Latina, Latino, and Latinx community members who have COVID, have been exposed to COVID, or are at risk of getting COVID.
Our Latina/o/x patients are being disproportionately impacted by COVID. Latina/o/x members of our community account for 65% of Sonoma County’s COVID cases but make up only 27% of our county’s population. At SRCH, Latina/o/x patients are testing positive at a rate of 29%, compared to 6% for patients who are white.
Many of these patients are at greater risk for getting COVID because of the vital work they are doing. Some are the front-line workers in the essential roles that keep our community moving forward. Others have no alternatives other than to go to work in order to provide for their families. Most are at greater risk of exposure and infection.
At the same time, COVID-19 demands care that goes above and beyond the services we regularly provide. And these additional services are not billable. Dollars raised through the Epic Trail Challenge make it possible for us to meet the full scope of needs by:
- Offering cost-free and judgment-free testing by bilingual, bicultural providers who are trusted because they are from our community.
- Giving patients who must quarantine or isolate – and their families – the food and supplies they need to immediately stop additional exposures.
- Regularly reaching out to patients with COVID to provide ongoing clinical support, guidance, and meaningful connection.
- Ensuring each patient is connected to the many other amazing organizations in Sonoma County providing vital COVID support during these times.
- Teaching culturally respectful and relevant practices about how to reduce the risk of getting or spreading COVID.
At Santa Rosa Community Health, we believe that everyone should have the opportunity for a full and healthy life. None of us should ever receive anything less than the best care possible, especially our essential workers who are struggling to recover from COVID. Please join us in making this a reality today!